The TimsTOF Pro mass spectrometer (Bruker) is equipped with an ion mobility module (Tims) that allows access to a 4th dimension: ion mobility (the three dimensions conventionally obtained being retention time (RT), ion mass (m/z) and ion intensity).
- In December 2015, the PAPPSO platform acquired the first Fusion Lumos tribrid Orbitrap mass spectrometer installed in France. This latest generation mass spectrometer is equipped with three analyzers (quadrupole, trap, orbitrap), three fragmentation modes (CID, HCD, ETD) and thus has a very great versatility of analysis.
- This mass spectrometer combines high acquisition speed and high resolution (MS and MS/MS). It is used to analyze very complex protein mixtures (identification and quantification) or to determine post-translational modifications.
- This mass spectrometer combines a high MS resolution in the Orbitrap module and a parallel MS/MS scan at low resolution in the LTQ module.
- The mass spectrometer is mainly used for protein identification from 2D electrophoresis spots or SDS-PAGE bands and for quality checks of samples.
- The platform has 2 chromatographic systems for the separation of proteins / peptides upstream of LC-MS / MS analysis: Low pressure system (FPLC ÄKTA Purifier, Amersham) Low pressure system (HPLC Prominence, Shimadzu) They are mainly used for the separation of phosphorylated peptides by cation exchange chromatography (SCX).